Monday, October 28, 2019

Week1: The Beginning

Hello family and friends. Mondays are the new P-Day! But that might change to Thursdays. 
So I got to Orlando just fine, we had dinner at the president's house, and got to know his family. I stayed at a members house that night, but they were these super old people, he looked legit like a vampire.  Regardless I slept like a rock. We got up and went to the chapel and I got assigned my companion. Elder Potter is interesting, he thinks he's black, and he replaces all the words that start with C to a B, for example, we never go to the church, we go to the bhurch, we don't do comp study, we do bomp study. He thinks he's a Blood. But he's also really funny and an incredibly obedient and hard worker. So we get along great. He's 6'5 so he's actually a little taller than me. He's from Layton Utah though he claims he was raised on the streets. Regardless, it's been a good time. I got my bike and a helmet, but I haven't actually ridden it yet.  Pretty lucky if you ask me.  We have a car in our area (which is Deland), and because Elder Potter is the Zone leader we get to do lots of cool things other missionaries don't. Like today we got approved to go down to Orlando to have P-Day with tons of missionaries. Its gonna be pretty fun. The area that I'm in (Deland) is the north most part of the mission. It's kinda like the boonies, broken down homes and not a lot of wealth. It's awesome. The people actually have a faith in Jesus Christ and don't have anything better to do than listen to us. I've learned that usually, black people are much nicer to us then the white people. Idk what that says about anything, but it's been true so far. 

We've gotten to teach a couple of people. We have some girls were teaching, they've got word of wisdom issues but they're trying to stop, they like meeting with us so they know they have to progress to keep that up. One of them got shot in the leg recently, some gang fight they got stuck in the middle of. They kinda just laugh at it, so we do too. We've also gotten to teach this guy named Jack, he's an old guy who loves the bible, he's read it a lot and loves missionaries.  He's been reading the book of Mormon but he's got one weird thing about him. He sometimes likes to "speak in tongues" when he prays. It's just a bunch of made up gibberish, so we gotta address that at some point but I legit almost broke out laughing when I heard it. One other person of mention is Lee, he's a vet who was Episcopalian, he loves to talk and talk. And he's got lots of really interesting stories, and he feels like there is something different about our church, but he just won't make time to read the Book of Mormon. He committed to us that he'd read before our next visit. So we've been texting him to remind him, so let's hope he starts to progress, or we might have to drop him, which would be sad. So far most people have been nice, some people are a little mean but it's aight. I listened to Elder Holland's address to the missionaries in the MTC which is called "miracle of a mission" go and listen to it, it's got lots of the classic Holland Fire and spirit. Tell me what y'all think about it.

I've got groceries and food at home but I've also gotten chick fil a and fast food lots. I'm very happy. Just so y'all don't think I'm getting chunky, I also got up at 6:30 and we ran a mile, which I know isn't very far but get off my back I did it at least. So ok, Florida is humid, and hot, and kinda boof at times. It rains and it just gets hotter and more humid. I'm going into winter too, the dry season. Summer might kill me. My apartment has 2 bathrooms, so its basically a castle. I never knew before now that missionaries just accumulated lots of crap, just Tons of stuff. And when they go home they just kinda leave it. It's pretty funny. So I've got lots of knick knacks, and even a full compound Bow, it's more for decoration but don't test me. So Florida is known for bugs and cockroaches. But our apartment doesn't have this problem, because we have hecka frogs and salamanders which are adorable so if we see one in the apartment or kinda just let it chill, they pay rent by eating up all the bugs. 

I hope everyone Is doing great, lots of hard work going on here, have a great week, I'll catch ya next week! -Elder Larkin






No comments:

Post a Comment